Home / FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a 2-way radio?

A 2-way radio is a device which has both an audio receiver and transmitter and therefore allows communication between the 2 users.

What is a PMR

A Professional Mobile Radio (PMR) which is just another way of saying 2-way radio really.

What is a PoC

Push to Talk over Cellular (PoC) is the newest type of PTT devices which use cellular data instead of radiowaves to send information.

What is PTT?

Push to Talk (PTT) is the ability to communicate at the press of a single button.

Which is better digital or analogue?

It depends on why you need it. Some applications of PMRs would suit an analogue radio but others a digital one.

What is an IP rating?

Ingress Protection (IP) rating is how resistant to damage your device will be to dust and water. The First number represents dust protection and goes up to 6. The 2nd number is water resistance and it goes up to 8 (currently). So an IP67 product is completely resistant to dust and can survive in water up to a meter deep. Find out more here: http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/


What is the difference between licenced and unlicensed radios?

A licenced radio will require a licence to use and will work over a greater distance, with more power.

An unlicensed radio does not need a licence but will work at a much shorter distance.

What’s the difference between a mobile unit and a hand portable one?

A mobile unit tends to be much larger than a hand portable one. A hand portable is essentially a ‘walkie talkie’.

How long will the battery last?

Some models last as long as 18 hours but the average is about 12 hours.

Can I use my radio abroad?

If your radio is licence free then you can use it abroad. If it isn’t, you need to arrange a licence with the country you are in.

Request a call back

Leave your details below and a member of the team will be in touch.

Loading posts...
Sort Gallery